3/03/2010

Sunshine Playlist: Part #2

There's a guy called Justin King; he's a guitar player and fairly unacquainted to the radio-consuming public (I count that as a good thing, mind you). He gained some internet fame though, partly due to his incredible guitar work and rather unique style, and partly because of his beautiful melodies in the music he makes.
King started with acoustic guitar and recorded an album completely with acoustic, instrumental compositions, called Le Bleu. One song in particular evokes certain images in my mind when listening to it, and it is one of my very favourite songs to relax or enjoy the sun to. This song is called Paris Morning, and you can check it out below (after the jump).


Initially I planned to show you the song Beauty Bar, which is actually a song played completely with band support, and it has summer wirtten all over it. But on the Tube are only a few live versions; I don't even remember where I got the studio version from... I think there was a time where you could legally download his songs from his website, www.justinking.com, but that's not the case anymore, of course.I have included a live version of the song in the link list below, but be advised: it's not as good as the studio version.

Now as I said, King gained a little fan base over the past few years, and he continues to amaze people with one clip in particular: he plays his song Phunkdified from Le Bleu durin the credit sequence of the Larivée show. Have a look:



Every time I watch this, words fail me again and again.
He increases his speed gradually, flailing his hands and fingers about the guitar like a madman. Totally incomprehensible, and that's what makes him amazing. A little side-note: He actually has his guitar specifically built for him, because normal guitars would simply crumble under his playing style.

Go check out his other songs as well, I've included some below. I HIGHLY recommend you check them out. Do it!

More Justing King:
Crown - An acoustic double neck. Just... wow.
Some guitar soloing - I can't even make out what he's doing.
Compilation by his Management - Check this one out to have a nice overview of King, including his more pop-like songs.
Beauty Bar - What I was talking about earlier. Love the relaxed vibe of the party.

PS: I know there's the guy called Andy McKee who's playing a similar style, and I know his song Drifting. But I think it's kinda unfair that he has more than 28.000.000 views, while Justin King's most viewed clip is this live version of Knock On Wood (and not, strangely, his Phunkdified blast) with barely 1.200.000 views. It just goes to show that people like stuff better if they can copy it (check out the cover attempts of Drifting and compare that with any Justin King song).

Labels: , ,

1 Kommentare:

Am/um 6. März 2010 um 09:32 , Blogger Tiny meinte...

I like his songs, even though I would have not named the first song "Paris Morning" to me it sounds more like something from the highlands..

Phunkdified is surely very artistic but it annoys me.. Too fast, too everything.

He is a real great guitar player, no doubt.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite