2/15/2010

Belated WEmas Celebration!

On February 13th I got together with some mates to finally celebrate WEmas.
Diego managed to borrow Guitar Hero 2 & 3 for his Xbox 360 including two guitar controllers (although the Strat one was broken or something), I provided snack material and booze.
Buler, by the time he had had some booze, refused to let go of my Indy hat and played some Duke Nukem 3D, when he wasn't rocking. Phil pretty much failed despite being more than a decent guitar player, and Tello only gave it a few tries but provided very uplifting feedback when others were playing. Diego was by far the most awesome looking chap of the bunch - have a look for yourself:

 
  
  
...what's better than rocking with booze and the Duke? Exactly.
  
  
  
...yours truly donning the WEmas 08 shirt! Hell yes.




...and the award for Most Epic Rock Pose goes to...





We played through most of GH2's career mode, unlocking the songs on the way ourselves, but with GH3, we decided to just unlock everything by cheat code. The track lists of both games is okay, but not really overwhelming; I had more fun with the original GH's choice of songs.
Diego and me were the only ones to really rock through the games; despite the fact that everyone in our group plays guitar in real life (some less frequently than others) the other ones didn't seem to get along with the concept of the GH controller... so discussions arose whether or not it brings advantages to be able to play guitar in real life. I noticed that if you're familliar with how to play the guitar, you tend to use your pinky effectively, of course. Also, you have more control over what your fingers are doing since the movement required for playing the riffs in GH are similar to actual guitar movements (in a limited way, of course).
On the other hand, it can be a disadvantage to know specific songs. For example: When I was playing Knights Of Cydonia by Muse or When You Were Young by The Killers (ah, when the Killers were still good... ) I always fell into the patterns I knew from playing the song on real life guitar; this way I often played too many notes or got out of beat and stumbled through the next passage.

At about 2 am, Diego requested to try and play Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce on Expert.
Now, some of you might know this song. It's power metal at its best and considered the hardest official GH song, as far as I know. Here's what it looks like when a 9 year old beats it with 95%. On Expert.

Poor fella. You think he's gonna miss his childhood?

Of course, beating this song was, for us normal human beings, out of the question. So Diego offered to try and get the highest percentage during a training mode where the song would never be aborted, no matter how bad you were. Diegos highscore was a whoppin 56%, while I was proud to call 48% my own. It was hilarious and a whole new experience just to see how high you can get - if you can, you should try it just for the heck of it.

I still have Diegos 360 here. I had to give it back to him yesterday, but somehow I forgot. Whoops!

Labels: , , ,

10 Kommentare:

Am/um 15. Februar 2010 um 16:33 , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

[Name] Saber :
Will steal ur 360 if given the chance (especially if RUSH is involved somehow)! :D

 
Am/um 15. Februar 2010 um 20:01 , Blogger Unknown meinte...

"...Power Metal at its best..."

I advise you not to say things like that in front of people who like power metal :D.
There's one song on Guitar Hero i always wanted to try: Thunderhorse, by Dethklok. Now that is a crazy awesome power metal-song(parody?):D. The only lines are:
-Thunder
-Horse
-Thunderhorse
-Revenge

 
Am/um 16. Februar 2010 um 15:00 , Blogger Tiny meinte...

Go Diego, go ;)

Looks like a lot of fun!

The 9 year old guy disturbs me though..
I bet he is one of those kids who are able to play every game at "expert" but who are not able to do a somersault..

 
Am/um 16. Februar 2010 um 16:51 , Blogger Unknown meinte...

@Tiny: Hate to say it, but i'm afraid you are in a relationship with a guy like that :D

 
Am/um 16. Februar 2010 um 20:59 , Blogger Saber meinte...

@Beni: No she's not!

@Tiny: You're not, baby.

 
Am/um 17. Februar 2010 um 16:21 , Blogger Tiny meinte...

XD WAH! I guess I've missed something!

 
Am/um 17. Februar 2010 um 22:23 , Blogger Unknown meinte...

Anyone who actually owns a Dreamcast since day 1 ist hopelessly lost to Nerdvana, i'm afraid. :D

 
Am/um 17. Februar 2010 um 22:26 , Blogger Unknown meinte...

Double post, boo!

As an afterthought: It IS pretty pathetic to play a game like guitar hero all by yourself...I know people who actually play Singstar/Ultrastar by themselves. :D...

 
Am/um 18. Februar 2010 um 11:17 , Blogger Saber meinte...

xD Singstar is one of the least singleplayer-ish games ever, one might assume. Even GH offers more if you're not surrounded by others 24/7.

Oh and btw: I don't own the DC since day 1! I RENTED it a couple of times and then bought it after selling my N64! That's totally different!

At least I never played Magic: The Gathering or Lands Of Lore... :D

 
Am/um 19. Februar 2010 um 18:27 , Blogger Unknown meinte...

Well, i wear my nerd batch with pride! I still play MtG every week and even made the effort to put my 5000 cards online.:D

Proof: http://deckbox.org/users/DIos

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite