8/11/2010

Awesome - Got It Right

Alright, so here's something:

I finally got around to recording one of the newer songs of my band, Awesome (what else?). I had to do everything myself and it pretty much sounds like it, too... see it as a demo, aight? It is FAR from finished. I was just too excited to keep it to myself.

Update August 23rd: New version here! The old version is available in the post. 


The song's called Got It Right, and the lyrics are pretty straight forward, simply inspired by a night at a club some time ago. The music was constructed out of a jam between Phil and me, when we swapped instruments at one time during our rehearsals (I'm usually the drummer in any band so far except for Brilliant Thieves) and I, by a strike of ingenuity, came up with the main guitar riff. I kept the drums very simple since Phil is not the most virtuous drummer (sorry mate, but keep it up!), but I think they pretty much deliver.
If you can make out the bass guitar, I'm sorry for the messy sound. My bass guitar is in repair right now, so I used my floor board and used a preset I made kinda resembling a bass guitar. It's miles from the real thing, I know, but at least I got some decent low frequencies out of it by tinkering with the equalizer within Cubase.
The vocals were a first-take and far from what I had in mind - I had to record them in my bedroom and was afraid I could upset the neighbours, so I reduced the singing to a minimum. Also I picked the wrong compressor on the Zoom H2 which made the vocals all scrambled...
What I am actually proud of (besides the whole song, of course..) is the guitar sound, especially during the chorus. The guitar solo was a first-take as well and is nothing more than a placeholder, but it works.

Anyway, without further ado here's Awesome - Got It Right. Hope you enjoy!

Lyrics:

Shes got the bag all packed
Shes already through the door
And with her corset on
All the guys drop to the floor

Shes got the hair all wild
And her makeup is just art
And with those sexy shoes
Well she'll get 'em from the start

Hold on
Oh yeah?
Nevermind the past tonight
Hold on
Oh yeah?

She's got it right tonight yeah
Tonight she's got it right
She's got it right tonight yeah
Tonight she's got it right

Hes got the bagpack on
Hes already through the door
And with his fancy shirt
All the ladies kiss the floor

Hes got the hair all wild
And his trusted bad boy stare
And with those awesome shoes
Well he'll get them anywhere

Hold on
Oh yeah?
Nevermind the past tonight
Hold on
Oh yeah?

He's got it right tonight yeah
Tonight he's got it right...

She's got it right tonight yeah
Tonight she's got it right

As far as I know, everything is (c) me 2010. Yeah!

Oh by the way - here's my recording booth I set up for the vocals: 



Yeah, I actually sat underneath a blanket held up by string infront of a recording device, hoping I could reduce my computers noise and the volume of my singing. I don't think it was helpful in any way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite