6/28/2011

Saber - Pilgrim Struts

Alright, here's the next one:

  Pilgrim Struts by Saber (Major Awesome)



Lyrics:

you see me down on the street
i got my powerful sneakers baby
my shades reflecting the sun
im walkin right on the beat now baby
this pilgrim's strutting along
got my headphones, im stereo baby
oooh dont let me down this time - no way!

the wind is blowing my hair
im on good-looks-cruise control baby
the people know who i am
they know im comin after you baby
oooh dont let me down this time - no way!

this pilgrims strutting along
got my headphones, im stereo baby
oooh dont let me down this time - hell no!


[CHORUS]

yeah you know who I am
an unstoppable force on my way girl
got my radar on track
got my engine running for you girl

you see me down on the street
i got my powerful sneaks
my shades reflecting the sun
im walkin right on the beat
this pilgrim's strutting along
i got my headphones,
im stereo baby
im stereo baby

oooh just take me out tonight - oh yeah

oooh just take me out tonight - hell yeah!


[CHORUS until end]

I began composing this song in November 2010 after watching Scott Pilgrim vs The World (who would have guessed!); I actually started composing three different songs that night. This one was my favourite and I kept working on it, the others remain to be finished as of yet.
This is very obviously inspired by one certain musician who also composed parts of the soundtrack for Scott Pilgrim, and since I'm a huge fan I decided to run with it as some sort of homage.
Again I started with the guitar, but very soon I had a general idea of what I wanted the song to sound like. I wanted a song that's cool somehow, that you could listen to while cruising around with your windows rolled down and your sunglasses on, maybe something to just rock out to.
There's several guitars used here: A strat with an acoustic simulation and fuzz distortion, a clean acoustic modeled guitar and an actual acoustic guitar that is really really old and sounds more like a banjo. Also there's the obvious solo guitar which is basically the John Mayer TS9-sound I had put together earlier, just with a little more distortion, I believe, and some delay. The solo is a completely improvised one-take, and it shows; however I feel like this fits perfectly into the crazy fuck-yeah chorus, where everything just goes kinda crazy.
This was the first time I actually used synthesizers in a rock song, beginning with the strange 'swooosh'-sound in the beginning and continuing with an arp during the verse that's a little reminiscent to chiptunes. During the final part of the song I just had to include an epic Mellotron-inspired choir to drive it all home. I fucking love Mellotron sounds.
And I know the lyrics are lazy, but this was the first time I actually tried reducing my songwriting - the song isn't very complex, so why should the words be? To be honest, I'm a little proud of the 'good-looks-cruise control'.

Next up: 'They Say'!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite